Transformation Through Yoga

This is an informal journal of my experiences with Bikram yoga. Through my practice I have become a better version of myself. Not only has my health improved in marked and measurable ways, I have also become much more deeply happy, connected with the present and have moved further down the path of enlightenment toward kindness and compassion for all beings.

I hope eventually to become engaged in dialog with others practicing Bikram yoga with their own intentions and experiences. Please share your comments. I will receive them without judgment or attachment, and with an open heart.

Namaste

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Meditation on the Meditation- Awkward Pose

In three parts, this is a long posture, but one I'm at which I'm pretty strong. It is in this posture that I begin to really "live in the muscles" and get out of my head a bit more. There are more difficult moments in these three parts, which challenge me mentally. In rising from the first and third squats I have difficulty; still building those muscles it really tests my edge not to lean forward. And coming down on my toes also makes my legs quiver. I have enough strength to do it, if my determination is also present. That will is really only required for a few moments, but it can be amazingly hard to call it into presence. I can do it, but not every time, not consistently.

It makes me think of teaching my students: one day a child might "get" a concept or work, and then "not get" it the next time. We tend to have high expectation of our children- that they are all brilliant (which is true), but that often mistranslates into they are brilliant at everything(which no one is). When they don't "get" something right away or their comprehension is evanescent, we tend to worry. Sometimes that worry is founded. Sometimes there are underlying learning issues that need to be addressed specifically. But sometimes it is the nature of learning that requires patience, patience and determination, keeping steadily at it. A child may struggle with a math concept or reading in the same way my legs quiver in awkward pose. Some days may be stronger or weaker, but with sustained determination, or at least a real intent toward determination, progress will be made over time.

For myself, determination is more easily called forth when I remind myself it is just for these three or four seconds that I have to really try. It's a question of motivation, and it is the same with children, though the form of motivation may vary. My own motivation varies; sometimes the time limit is not enough and I have to find other or additional mental prompts, like taking a quick look at the person next to me for inspiration (or even a little competition). Motivation is a moving target, for myself and with kids, as well. I need to become aware of what drives me (or my students) from moment to moment, which is another way of seeking, achieving union (yoga) with myself, or helping my students to know themselves better.

In education, part of the relatively new vernacular, borrowed from psychology, is metacognition. This is the ability to think about thinking, being aware of what and how you are feeling and thinking, with the intention of being better able to direct and manage our thinking. We talk a lot with kids about how they are feeling, what is difficult or easy for them and why they think that is. The result is, I think, that we are nurturing quite sophisticated minds. I wish we had done more of this when I was a child, but I am glad to have the opportunity now to practice this, both through teaching and through Bikram practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment